5 Common Questions About Vegetarian- and Veganism answered

With an alternative diet, lots of questions are being raised. Even though I wouldn't say that being vegetarian or vegan nowadays is uncommon, there still are people who have lots of questions about the two lifestyles. I've been completely vegetarian for almost a year now, and I'd say that my diet has become about 80% vegan throughout time. Having eaten this way for quite a while now I've recognised a few questions that have been more common than others, and so I thought I'd share the answers to these questions here on my blog!

1. Why did you become vegetarian?
I've always been passionate about environmental issues and animal rights, which is how it all started. I started off eating less and less meat, and the meat I ate was always organic. The first meat i cut out off my diet was chicken, after I'd asked one of the staff in the school kitchen where the chicken came from and she laughed at me and said that she didn't know.
As many others I watched Cowspiracy when it cam out, and I think that was the beginning of me going completely vegetarian. Throughout time I've leaned more and more towards a vegan diet, and today I eat pretty much 80% vegan!

2. Don't you crave meat?
In the beginning I sometimes did. I love parma ham, salami and a good burger! But for me stop eating meat was about 50% because of the environment and 50% about the animals themselves, so even though I sometimes felt like one slice of parma ham wouldn't do much bad for the environment, I knew it would take an animal to give me that ham. I can still think that grilled meat smells good, but I'd never eat it. Just as I would never drink gasoline just because I think the fumes from when a car starts smell nice...
3. Do you get enough protein?
Yes, yes and yes! I find it quite hilarious how some people think that not eating meat will make it impossible for you to get enough protein into your system. There are tonnes of different foods that are not animal based and contains an awful lot of protein. Per 100 grams, meat contains roughly 30g protein, whilst nuts and seeds contains about 33g and beans 17g. Other foods that contain protein are tofu, spinach and potatoes

4. What do you eat?
"What do you eat" is a common question. Many people assume that we eat only salads and fruit, but luckily that's not the case. Planning a vegetarian meal is super easy! Think about any dish. Does it contain meat? If yes, replace it with something else that you love, like grilled vegetables, beans, tofu or Quorn. Want to eat vegan? Think of another meal. Replace the meat with another protein. If the dish contains dairy, use a plant based product instead, like soy. Not that hard, right?
My favourite lunch is this vegan falafel wrap on the picture above. Even my meat eating brother loved it! It's super simple! All you need is:

A wrap
Hummus
Salad
Cucumber
Spinach
Tomatoes
Falafel
Dressing (mine is made of soygurt, salt, pepper, parsley and garlic)

Get yourself a Pinterest account, that's where I find pretty much all my recipes! Or follow some vegan blogs or youtubers for inspiration, like Naiomi Smart (she's my favourite!)

5. Isn't it expensive?
Yes and no, it all depends on what you buy (of course). Just like everything else, vegetarian and vegan food is cheapest when it's in season. Not only is it inexpensive, but the quality will be at its best. You will get the best quality for the lowest price, so make sure to know when your favourite foods are in season and bulk up!
If you don't eat frozen convenience foods like Quorn or other meat alternatives, your food bill will stay low. Vegetarian and Vegan convenience foods are often made from high quality, organic ingredients and will therefor be more expensive than the crappy premade meatballs and hamburger patties that are often made from the leftovers in the factory-farms.

5 kommentarer

  1. Great post! I've been thinking for a long time to turn vegetarian as well. I barely eat meat anyway. As for the falafel, that's my fav as well! Been craving it for almost a month, but I've been too lazy too cook it xD. x

    Have a nice day,
    Andreea
    http://couturezilla.com/

    SvaraRadera
  2. I've been thinking about becoming vegetarian for a while now, I barely ever eat meat now but I do enjoy eating a good burger when I go out or having pepperoni pizza. But as time goes on I want to be vegetarian even more, so i might give it a try this summer and see if it works for me! x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    SvaraRadera
  3. I'm a vegetarian; great advice regarding sources of protein!

    LUXESSED

    SvaraRadera
  4. Your point on protein is a really good one, especially as that's always been something that I've wondered about! I don't really eat much meat, though when I do I make sure it's organic.

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    SvaraRadera
  5. oh man i hate being asked what i eat, it's like the second someone asks me i forget everything that i eat and then it seems like i don't eat anything haha. definitely the best decision i've made though :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    SvaraRadera

Latest Instagrams

© thatsellen. Design by Fearne.